Sunday, September 22, 2013

Transcending The Pain

  We are each of us imperfect in so many ways.  To me we are all just bumbling, imperfect human beings looking for a way through this life while trying to do our best.  I don’t believe that there are many people out there who intentionally and willfully hurt others.  I’m not naïve enough to believe that there is NO ONE out there doing just that, I just choose to do my best to see the good, as opposed to the bad.  I’m fairly certain though that there lies within each of us a trigger that will unleash that mean streak.  I also know that sometimes others do intentionally hurt us, but I like to hope that it’s followed quickly by regret and sorrow.  When this happens, when we are emotionally, verbally, and sometimes physically assaulted, we have a choice in how we react.  I have a deep seeded trigger within myself.  I know it is there.  It’s always been there.  Strapping on leather gloves and stepping toe to toe with another willful individual is how I suppress that trigger, and yet not too long ago I let that trigger get the better of me.  I try and look at the things I said in haste and I’ve even gone so far as to “talk to someone about it” but I know for sure that I was pushed to that proverbial edge then swiftly kicked in the rear right over it.  I accept the words I said, and the more time that goes on, I realize that I said what I had to say, and I said what I meant.  It still hurts to know that you released that anger.  By “talking to someone” I’ve come to realize that in comparison what I said was not really that mean, and that it was also my defense mechanism to end the madness and to stop the cyclical pattern of being attacked verbally and emotionally.  My anger is not a place where I find comfort.  It’s not an emotion that I share willingly.  It’s something I prefer to keep in the inner recesses of my being.

  Through hours of talking it out, looking for answers, and reaching out for help, I’ve come to realize that the pain I endured was “enough”.  It is, was, and will remain time to move away from that space.  Words sometimes hurt worse than the fists and kicks I endure in a good sparring match.  The pain of being kicked in the head is like no other.  As your opponent comes in, setting up that devastating blow with jabs and hooks, you are aware.  You know you are in a battle.  You cannot dodge the pain.  It’s coming and you know it.  When that elusive kick finally connects to the cranium, something within had prepared you for it.  And yet that moment where you realize you have suddenly lost your ground, your footing, your equilibrium, and your senses, is not unlike this process I have been facing.  I’ve kissed the mat several times over the last 5 years of training.  I’ve taken my beatings and I’ve tried hard to condition my body and mind for the onslaught.  When you are beaten down by one you love, that’s a different beast in and of itself.  No amount of padding, gear, or preparation will suffice when the day comes where you realize you are verbally beaten to a pulp.  When you are emotionally devastated by words, cruelty, and a disproportionate amount of hate, you could only wish for a kick to the head instead.  You are limited on your defenses.  No amount of bobbing and weaving can get you past it.  You have to deal with it, head on!

  I’m learning that getting through that pain is far easier said than done.  By me putting up my defense, and stopping the onslaught, I figured I would just man up and be tough in order to get me through.  When the dust settled I realized I was far more beaten that I had anticipated.  The wounds were deeper than I could have imagined.  I knew I was facing the next opponent.  I knew the cathartic state would pass and as my emotions settled, I thought I’d just tough this out.  Fake it til’ you make it!  I was wrong!  The pain of losing someone you love, truly loved, is sometimes more than even the toughest of the tough can handle.  We can stand in its face with undogged determination, but we cannot go around it.  We can stand there and do nothing, but the energy of the action will permeate us if we do not make progress.  To get past it, you have to move through it.  You cannot go around that pain.  You cannot go under it.  You can’t jump over it.  You have to embrace it and feel it in order to get through it.  There is only one way to find the other side, and I believe that is straight through it with eyes wide open.  When you have accepted the fact that your belief in all that is good can, and will, be challenged you become humbled.  When the rare occasion presents itself that you are taken for a ride with ill will and hurtful intention, you just have to ride that bull and come to this place in front of the pain.

 

  I’m learning to be quiet in this place.  I’m accepting my part and my shortcomings.  I am starting to recognize that emotions are just that!  Feelings.  Fleeting and elusive.  We are not our emotions.  We can choose to be shaped by them, or we can deal with them head on.  We can recognize them as impermanent and own the fact that they are there.  When I stood before this pain (initially) I was paralyzed with fear.  I’d rather go bare knuckle and flat out with one of my sparring buddies than face this beast.  I chose the direct path with the help of some friends and close support.  I wish this upon no one, and yet we’ll all face it at some point in our lives.  Whether it’s a lost love or the ultimate loss of death, there will come a time when we don’t want to feel what is inevitable.  When you choose to walk gracefully from a situation, with your own dignity in mind, then you must move forward.  Face the pain and let the pain wash away the grief.  Let one bathe the other and purge it from where you stand.  The beauty in this approach is when you finally transcend the pain; you emerge on the other side stronger.  More resilient, whole, and it is there, and only there, where you will find the one true reward of facing the pain….forgiveness.