Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Plight of The Butterfly



I worry sometimes.  It’s not uncommon for a single father whogave it all for that very right (“father”) to worry that someone, something, some event will come and take away what he sacrificed his life’s work, savings and future to achieve.  I believe it’s as natural a feeling as any out there.  I am far from perfect; in fact being perfect is just about the most unappealing thing to me.  I value diversity and I embrace most challenges that come my way.  My writing style was recently compared to the great literary giant (in my mind) Edward Abbey.  It can go all over the place, touch high emotions and low, direct in an indirect way, and always driven to the point by passion.  That’s Edward Abbey and to be compared to such an inspirational human being is nothing short of a great compliment.  I’ve not been able to put my finger on the “why” of my desire to write.  Often times it seems as though this keyboard is the tap into my heart and mind.  It’s a place to release those thoughts swirling in my head.  Someone once told me that I had a “butterfly mind” and for a long time I viewed that as anything but a compliment.  That someone never really embraced that observation and I came to feel that it was not only an insult, but a problem.  Only after hearing the compliment about my writing style did I take the time to sit and not only think about the way the butterflies twitter through my mind, but only then did I sit down and talk to someone about it.  I had come to a point with that individual where my faults were continually pointed out; I could never be good enough.  The coy comments would sometimes bounce right off, but the persistence was unavoidable.  As I slowly retreated into myself, I realized that I was changing.  I was shifting from within and trying to adapt to the energy from another.  It wasn’t until I was free from those chains that I realized I had fallen for that inevitable trap of letting someone whose own insecurities drove the constant criticism, put downs, and nagging persistence that would lead me into the hole I had withdrawn to.  Only through the process of climbing out of the fog have I been able to reflect and not only forgive myself,  but accept that I am what I am, and I’m happy with who I am.

 

  I acknowledge the fact that I am an imperfect human being in an even more imperfect world.   We all bring strengths and weaknesses to the table of our shared lives.  When we make the choice to share this life with someone it’s a virtual cornucopia of interests, passions, feelings, and love.  When we enter into a relationship, I believe (and always have) that it should be a beautiful adventure lacking any preconceived notions, ultimatums, or ideology.  I think if each of us can accept the man, woman, and children that surround us, we can do nothing but encourage, nourish, and take part in the blossoming of something wonderful.  We are, after all, a species developed in our relationships.  A society bound together by love.  I believe we are put on this earth to love.  Love our friends; love our partners, our kids, and the world around us.  Should we learn to accept all faults within another, it is then that we free ourselves as well as forgive ourselves for our short comings.  When we continually judge, beat down, and criticize with dogged persistence, we only close the door to our own hearts.  It’s a continuous growing process to step out of our comfort zone and look deeply into our varied relationships within this lifetime and pull the good from each one.  To nourish that, while accepting shortcomings and faults, is truly nothing short of amazing.  To find the peace within oneself is to find the peace within another.  Anger begets anger, hate begets hate, and preconceived notions only lead you down a road of disappointment. 

 

  Through this experience I’ve learned to accept that having the “butterfly mind” is far from a curse.  Being spontaneous, open to change, and wild at heart is far from a curse.  My faults are mine and I am as human as anyone.  I fall down sometimes, but I’ve always gotten back up.  I can be knocked down by the mean spirited will of others, and I can make the choice to get back up and keep on going.  I have no choice but that.  Humiliation is an invasive toxin.  Dishonor is a volatile aggressor, but pain and anger if used respectfully and carefully is an amazing opiate to push you past the situation.  I pray that I never use humiliation as a tool.  I am out of regret and the sorrow will fade.  My worries and struggles are genuine and mine.  The perception of those worries being a “dark cloud” is something I will struggle with for some time.  I’ve done my best to endure, and I’d give it all again to have my children, but I’d not likely let myself go to the same extent.  Pushed into a hole and beat to a bloody pulp.  I am what I am and I make no apologies.  Live your life so that when you leave there are footprints on the hearts of those close to you.  Accept others unconditionally and love uncompromisingly.  When the butterflies in your heart and mind are brought into question…close your eyes and relish in the dance of those butterflies flying in formation.  Maybe you are the only one to see that formation, but it’s yours nonetheless.  Make no apologies and grovel to none.  Love your life!  At the end of the day be accountable for your judgments and actions.   When you focus on what is bad, you create a pattern within yourself that not only notices the bad much more quickly, but you dwell in that space and rewire your brain to seek out those traits, it is inevitable that you will only swim within that space and creates a self fulfilling prophecy.   Love and honor those you are fortunate to cross paths with and sit quietly before you react.  Compromise not what you know to be true, but be flexible enough to embrace diversity.   Finally when the onslaught becomes too great to bear, spread your wings and flutter away with grace and kindness.  Align the butterflies and charge off into the sun.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.  May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
~ Edward Abbey