Wednesday, August 6, 2008

D-Day

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
D-day :diˌdeɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dee-dey] Pronunciation
–noun
1.
Military. the day, usually unspecified, set for the beginning of a planned attack
.


The mention of "D-Day" conjures up images of soldiers launching into battle. Transported to the battlefield and sent into the unknown. A constant barrage of dangers all around them. Never knowing which way to run, never knowing what to do but charge forward. Faced with an enemy in a far superior position, they march forward and do what is necessary to achieve their goals. Sacrifices are made, pain is dealt, and suffering is inevitable. Loss is inevitable, gain uncertain...but either way, things must be done. The battle must be waged.
My own personal D-Day will be next Friday the 15th. I went to the Orthopedic Surgeon yesterday. The news was not good. Not quite dire, but not good. Lots of uncertainty. No guarantees. My battlefield will be a myriad of events with no positive outcome assured. Now I know what lies ahead. The weapons of this war will be only those possessed within. My heart and my soul. The plates and screws: weapons of the surgeon. Tools of the trade. The pain is assured and the battle will be long. I present as though I am unafraid. Time is all that I have, my heart and soul are strong. My enemy has the upper hand at this point, but I will not give in. I will press on, move forward, and take ground as I go. My fellow soldiers will be there with me. My wife and kids will fight with me, they are brave (if not braver) than I. I may come out of this forever changed. To some, the change may be obvious....less flexibility, a limp, etc. The real change will be what is inside. I will gain brawn, both inner and outer. I will not falter and I will not run away. The plan is in place, the soldiers are here with me, my choices are limited, but I cannot show fear. This is where I am and I would not have this strength if it were not for those I have by my side. We will win, we will fight.
I don't know how good my outcome will be. The cards are stacked against me. They say that this will probably be the first of many surgeries. The Doc even told me that the "worst case" scenario could be me losing my foot. Stunned cannot describe how that felt. I guess with the lack of "meat" in the ankle, recovery is slow and hard. Infection is a REAL possibility. The pain hasn't subsided, but only multiplied. My kids are scared but I assure them that it is all going to be okay. I WILL gain from this. Experience, wisdom, and even strength. To say I am not a little scared, would be a concealment of the truth. But I can't say it. I can't show it. One moment of weakness can lead to absolute regression. Everyone has been totally positive and encouraging. I care not for sympathy. If you pray, pray for me, if you meditate, do so with me in your thoughts. If you believe in the power of positive thoughts, please send some my way. I don't ask for much, but I need the positive energy flowing my way.
Thanks for all of the positive thoughts and vibes - without my friends, I have no army for this war.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm the praying sort, so I've been doing that off and on, all day. Doug has probably told you a bit about what you can do on an imperfect foot! Best wishes for good healing from our family. (Doug's sister and co.)