Saturday, June 27, 2009

Ascending to the Rhythm



There are few things in life that have given me a sense of purpose, release, accomplishment, and joy, such as climbing does. It goes without saying that my family does this, and more, yet as it is at this time my family was torn from my clutches. The perils of this journey are many, but the constant support of my friends has kept me accountable and uplifted all at once. Climbing has kept me free. Climbing, and the journey within any climb, are two things that you just can't explain to anyone who doesn't “get it”. The person who is unwilling to risk self, failure, pain, or pride will never “get it”. The rhythm that pulsates through your body as you find your groove on a climb is tantalizing to even the mere spectator. Climbing well, gracefully, and in a rhythm is something to be seen, felt, and inspire. As you flow over the stone with seemingly effortless grace, all parts of your body working as one, your world just becomes magical. The stresses and worries of everyday life just fall away as you ascend higher. Each move releasing more of what should not be, replaced by a splendor and serenity that keeps you going. You tire, you risk falling, you risk failing, yet you keep going. Fear can run through your veins, but it is the life giving energy which you leave with, that keeps you going. You know not what lies ahead, yet you ascend willingly. A buoyant rhythm about you, a dance with gravity, where you dance in step, a tango with the demons within you, those are the dances I will always remember most. I have always danced to the beat of a different drummer. It is who I am, at the core, to challenge myself and to bask in the glory of persevering and pushing myself beyond what I thought possible in all aspects of my life.

At the base of every difficult climb, I tend to close my eyes, lower my head, and just clear out all the clutter that is dancing within. On a really difficult, dangerous, or scary climb, I’ll ask God to move with me. To be the extra energy I need to make the next hard move. To have me on belay and catch my fall if it should come. As I submerge my calloused hands into my chalk bag, I caress the powder as it is absorbed by my pores. You dust off your shoes, check your knot. A resolute look into your partner’s eyes tells you that she is right there with you. Connected by a 9.8mm strand of nylon. Connected on so many levels, yet so far apart. Her journey is neither yours, nor yours hers, but you know that she has you if you fall, if you fail, or if you need support. It is a connection beyond the rope between you. As you make your first move the jitters subside, the nerves cool, and you know what you must do. Your mind has been here before; your body moves over familiar territory. Your mind is sharp and trained to pull all things together. To release what needs to go, and to utilize all parts of your body as one. Like a flock of geese flying in formation, your mind leads your body, carrying it forward in its flight. You find a hold, a mere imperfection in the armor of the rock. As you gently brush of the dirt that covers it, you gently place the tips of your fingers on top of it. Slowly you apply pressure and feel the sharpness. You push out the pain and apply more pressure, keenly aware that too much pressure and you will “peel” from the hold. You feel solid, grounded, yet lifted. The rest of your limbs follow suit. Together like a well choreographed dance, to a rhythm all your own, you continue the process. Each move its own, unique and diverse. Suddenly all pistons are firing. You feel the strain in your back as you pull; the fire in your legs as you push. The sweat stings your eyes but you are smiling. Your soul is smiling. Your spirit is free. You are right where you need to be. Nothing can encroach upon the solidarity working within you. The burn in your forearms, the strain of your muscles, the beating of your heart, and the stinging in your lungs, all a beautiful machine. Working together, well oiled and doing what it needs to survive. NOTHING else is there. Just the sound of the wind, your body, the sun on your back; NOTHING! You are free. A freedom not freely given, but earned move for move.

The bliss when you make the top is amplified by the sun on your face, the wind in your hair, and the sense of being just a small part in a world so much larger than you. You look down and the solitude gives way to the smiling faces that you can scantily make out. They are looking up, smiling, clapping and laughing. They know the feeling. They have been there to push you on before. Those are the smiles and faces of those who “get it”. Words aren’t necessary when you lower to the ground; the drug that pulses through your body is all natural. Organic and pure. More than adrenaline, more than happiness. As you untie, the cool breeze descends upon you and a gentle rain begins to fall, cleansing the sweat from your brow. As those around you scramble in their laughter for some cover, you look to the heavens and allow the rain to fall upon your face. The winds pick up, the drops fall with more intensity, the thunder claps and the lightning paints the sky. You are home. Amongst friends, amongst family, souls who share the dance. The rhythm beats within them as well. The rhythm does not subside, you dash under a tree, on a rock, seeking shelter from the onslaught, yet the sounds, smells, sights, and people around you create a rhythm all their own. Those friends who lay about the rocks around you, sheltered from the rain, are your family. The rain falls and cleanses the world around you. The slate is washed clean, ready for the next dance.

18 comments:

JT said...

G-R-E-A-T work Jim. This one moved me, made my palms sweat, and had me grabbing my climbing gear just to touch it. What a way to start my day. I think I'll go climb. We live in an amazing place don't we. You have found a "family" that will carry you through this. Looks like you are doing fine my friend.

Anonymous said...

YO YO YO !!! That is some amazing work. Very descriptive. I could feel myself crankin' down and feel the rain on my face. I FREAKIN' love it. She took so much from you Jim. She gave us women a bad name but you are obviously seeing that there are not many out there that are like her. Thank god for that. She took your laughter for a while, but it is back. She took your trust, but you found that again too. She can't take those wonderful kids from you or the passion you have for climbing, loving, and living. I love you and the person you are.

Anonymous said...

sick dude. Rock on.
Stu

Anonymous said...

DAD
Jim, nice article once again. I'm so very happy to see that you are out climbing and staying active and being with GREAT friends. The friendships that you have formed in the last couple of months are hard to find today. Most people in other parts of the world just want to be left alone, but it appears different in Durango. I would like to thank all of your friends for helping you along this difficult journey. You couldn't have done it alone and be where you are now without all of them, the friends both in Durango and posters from around the planet. I sense that some of your posts are from afar. You wrote in this article "Your spirit is free. You are right where you need to be." That is you, now Jim. Free from the excruciating pain and agony that you have been through, or at least heading at a very high rate of speed in that direction. "You are right where you need to be." How many times have I expressed my desire that you never leave Durango, not just so I can visit paradise evey now and then but because Durango and the area ARE YOU. You belong. Yes, I am jealous, but I also am where I need to be now and I guess I'll stay a while. Just keep heading in the direction that you have been and you will be just fine. That direction is UP. In more ways than just the direction UP. You are moving UP spiritually and emotionally and I have no doubt that you will continue that journey. I am proud of how you are handling all of this, but I have come to expect this from you. I Love You Jim.
DAD

P.S. How's the foot holding up?

Anonymous said...

Oh man. That just makes me want to go climb and live in the mountains. What a great post. I am glad you are doing well and moving beyond the hell you have experienced.

ST said...

I love your writing Jim. It is just very unique and full of feeling. I love you and your kids and know you will be alright. I look forward to your blog. Keep it coming.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful posting. Very inspiring and descriptive. Nice to see you back in the saddle in more way than one.

Anonymous said...

That's a good one Jim. You sure have a passion about all you do. Keep it up and keeping moving on. Looks like you are better off.

Anonymous said...

Sweet I feel like I just got done climbing. It is your source! It shows. Your Facebook page shows so much of what you do and the friends you have. I love sharing the experience with you. I feel like I can be right there with you. You are great and I miss you and know you are destined for great things and a great woman.

Staci said...

The path you have chosen and the love you have shown are both AMAZING. You have found yourself again and it shows.

Anonymous said...

Climbing seems to have helped you forget the evil SH*^ that she is/was doing. Keep doing it and you can enjoy looking down on her from up high. Let her wallow in the hell she will find.

Dan said...

Jim, I hope your climbs and life take you higher and higher. I know you will reach what you are looking for. You are an amazing person and a great friend. My heart was breaking for you but now all I feel is joy for what you have done and found. You inspire me.
Dan

Anonymous said...

From your previous post:

"No preconceived notions or expectations are there. You are not seeking more than what comes naturally. The laughter flows along with the wine."

Seems you have found friends and a person for whom we all wish we could have "that" kind of relationship with. Enjoy it Meyer. You deserve this. You deserve peace and happiness.

Cheyenne said...

Took the dog up to X rock this afternoon after my workout. Watched a 10 year old boy scale the rock like a lizard. So many things went through my mind & heart.

I have taken a great deal of personal risks over the last 17 years and broken through barriers that leave other people dumfounded. However, since I am my children's only mother and therefore, their world (and vice/versa); and also probably due to the fact that my mother died when I was young, and my father abandoned me for an affair and subsequent marriage to a woman very near my young age... I have taken great care not to put myself in any physical danger. I cannot be the one to take my children's only (extremely devoted) parent away from them--I know the devastation of being left to fend for your young and unprepared self and inheriting unanswerable questions to sort out for the rest of your life.

However, lately, as I get back in touch with my body through demanding physical exercise (albeit safe), the mind-body connection is kicking back into gear...and the inner conflict that has been ongoing for years of struggling to keep my emotions out of the way so that I can make very difficult decisions and endure situations that parents should not ever have to deal with ...with absolute objectivity....

Where was I ? o yeah, the mind-body thing... I wept as I watched this kid on the rock today. My body just cant take all that's been pent up for years inside of it. I am a very physical person as it turns out...my body just likes to work hard and keep going, which I probably have always know, but not understood until recently.

I felt like my body was telling me that I would be doing us both a favor if I got out there on the rocks and just worked shit out on the climb. I could feel myself up there on that rock, like an out of body experience. so much emotion from every extreme. I could feel how powerful the rocks and my body would be as I struggled and pushed on a rock instead of inside. I just wept...as I am now.

so, I guess I have come to the place where the possibility of climbing presents a very powerful draw for me. I want to be there, to struggle, to push, to go... and not look back. I want to take things as far as my body will let me. I would love for you to introduce me to the rocks. i can't tell you what kind of person I will be once I get there, but I am teachable.

Afternoons except for Tues and Thurs, i am available. I don't know what I will need. What a metaphor. I don't know how I am going to make it over the coming months, I am now in a realm of poverty which I have never known before. I know I will be ok, I will figure things out even if times are tough. I just need to get past this place I am right now in my heart and head about opening up and letting go and trusting and running with it. I have to find that strength that is out there in those places. I hope I am making sense.

Bottom line: I want to get out on the rocks and learn to climb, so I am open and available, just give me a call when/if it is a good time.

Cheyenne

Cheyenne said...

Took the dog up to X rock this afternoon after my workout. Watched a 10 year old boy scale the rock like a lizard. So many things went through my mind & heart.

I have taken a great deal of personal risks over the last 17 years and broken through barriers that leave other people dumfounded. However, since I am my children's only mother and therefore, their world (and vice/versa); and also probably due to the fact that my mother died when I was young, and my father abandoned me for an affair and subsequent marriage to a woman very near my young age... I have taken great care not to put myself in any physical danger. I cannot be the one to take my children's only (extremely devoted) parent away from them--I know the devastation of being left to fend for your young and unprepared self and inheriting unanswerable questions to sort out for the rest of your life.

However, lately, as I get back in touch with my body through demanding physical exercise (albeit safe), the mind-body connection is kicking back into gear...and the inner conflict that has been ongoing for years of struggling to keep my emotions out of the way so that I can make very difficult decisions and endure situations that parents should not ever have to deal with ...with absolute objectivity....

Where was I ? o yeah, the mind-body thing... I wept as I watched this kid on the rock today. My body just cant take all that's been pent up for years inside of it. I am a very physical person as it turns out...my body just likes to work hard and keep going, which I probably have always know, but not understood until recently.

I felt like my body was telling me that I would be doing us both a favor if I got out there on the rocks and just worked shit out on the climb. I could feel myself up there on that rock, like an out of body experience. so much emotion from every extreme. I could feel how powerful the rocks and my body would be as I struggled and pushed on a rock instead of inside. I just wept...as I am now.

so, I guess I have come to the place where the possibility of climbing presents a very powerful draw for me. I want to be there, to struggle, to push, to go... and not look back. I want to take things as far as my body will let me. I would love for you to introduce me to the rocks. i can't tell you what kind of person I will be once I get there, but I am teachable.

Afternoons except for Tues and Thurs, i am available. I don't know what I will need. What a metaphor. I don't know how I am going to make it over the coming months, I am now in a realm of poverty which I have never known before. I know I will be ok, I will figure things out even if times are tough. I just need to get past this place I am right now in my heart and head about opening up and letting go and trusting and running with it. I have to find that strength that is out there in those places. I hope I am making sense.

Bottom line: I want to get out on the rocks and learn to climb, so I am open and available, just give me a call when/if it is a good time.

Cheyenne

Sarak K. said...

Jim,
Not sure who that was you were with last night, but you looked truly happy and had that sparkle in your eye again. You look FANTASTIC. Back in shape again. I didn't know you before Durango, but you look great and word on the street is that you are climbing hard.
Keep it up,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Where's the writing Meyer? We want more out here.

Anonymous said...

Bring it Meyer. We miss it. I miss you and I am so freaking proud of you and how you have handled this. Someone wonderful is out there waiting for you. I am truly sorry that you had to go through this, but you are the better person here and seeing you with your kids made me realize who they are drawing nearer to. Jim - your little girl just adores you and that son of yours watches every move you make. They have YOU Jim. You! That is something great. You are an amazing example.