Monday, July 21, 2008

Seeing the "Light"

I was a bad kid. Still am. I never listened to my
parents, or any other authority figure for that matter. I typically do things "my" way instead of the "normal" way. When everyone else would go right...I'd go left. If people would go up...yup !!! I'd go down. Guess I never really was a follower. However subtle it may be, I think we all like to go our own way. I think that we all imagine we can buck the system and do things our way. What person doesn't see themselves as the epitome of the loner, rebel, bad ass, we all have looked up to at some point in our lives? Okay, maybe not "looked up to", but we have all imagined ourselves as this no non-sense, thrill seeking, wife beater wearing, tattoo havin', beer guzzlin', brawling, no shit takin', bad ass mo fo'. You know the one! The guy in the wife beater (or whatever you call those things) t-shirt, overly protuberant biceps, and the leathery, tan skin that all the ladies dig. Yeah ! That guy.
I tried to be him. Well, inadvertently anyway. I was never really "tough", but man I could take a good ass whoopin' better than most men twice my size. I like to call it my insatiable desire to win. I guess the one thing that I got out of that was that I am not very good at quitting. Beat me up, beat me down, take my stuff, do whatever....I won't quit. I sure hope that this is one trait that my kids pick up. Well, I just hope they don't have to go through the crap that I did. I hope they have the wherewithal to realize that beating your head into a wall (so to speak) is pretty darn counter productive. Lets just hope they can be tough without having to be a super hero...in a wife beater.
I still let the bad mo fo' out every now and then. Mostly after a few golden kool-aids. These days I try not to pick fights or talk too much smack. Instead, I grow wings and think I can fly, think I can climb things I shouldn't, and generally my man bag tends to drop a little and I think I am pretty invincible. I throw what little caution that I do have to the wind and I even end up a mad streaker on occasion. I am a lot more mellow these days. I am still a bad ass though, at least in my own little mind. I guess I have finally seen the light......at least I drink light now!

No comments: