Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Brotherhood Baptized in Blood


There are nights as I drive from work, during a raging snowstorm, when all around me is black and white. The sky black, yet white and tranquil. As I warm my truck in the office parking lot I repeat my mantra "don't quit..don't quit..never give up..always get up". I see my breath, warm and moist as it exits my body having filled my lungs with life. The days are usually long and I am typically drained. Always having to give one hundred percent to stay focused in an intense position at work. The demons and agonizing thoughts always grabbing at my heals, promising to drive me insane if I just give them an ounce of my time. But I won't quit. Never will I tap to the demons that chase me.


So I sit as my truck warms and tell myself that I cannot go home to an empty house and just sit. There are times where that is just a relaxing end to my day and I actually look forward to it. Those times almost always fall on the weeks where my kids are with me, otherwise I try to stay busy, stay fit, stay focused, and continue the fight. I've looked in the mirror over the last 8 months and I have seen a transformation as glorious as any I could ever imagine. I have watched my body change into one that I am proud of. I have felt my heart pound out of my chest in utter sadness, and yet still it beats stronger each day. I have struggled to breathe at times, choked out by a nightmare unseen as it approached. So I sit on a cold snowy night, warming my truck, looking in the rearview at the clarity in my eyes. As I shift into drive, I sense the drive in my soul, knowing that my next stop is my home away from home. This home is one where I feel nothing but joy as I cross the threshold. Inside those doors are my brothers and sisters. My family. The ones I "roll with". The ones who "know". Warriors one and all. Their battles are their own, as mine is left to my graces, yet once through those doors, we are an army bathed in sweat, and often blood.


I know as I drive through the white darkness that my day has been long, my mind and body are tired, yet my foot is heavy on the pedal. I crave the sounds of leather hitting leather, of a beautiful take down and the ensuing smack of flesh hitting the mat. The smell of a gym is something few can appreciate. It permeates all within. The sweat that pours from our bodies is an intoxicating tonic, the adrenaline pumps through your veins like a junkies fix. I crave this, it is who I am, it is what drives me to keep on keepin' on. It is my fix. So I drive, heavy footed and anxious for the "beauty of the process", as a friend so eloquently put it. It isn't the smashing of bones, the popping of joints, or the spilling of blood. It's the process inbetween. It's the two guys in the locker room who just watched you get your ass kicked, yet they tell you that you did good. The same guys who hear your story and intently listen...you can see it in their faces..they "know". They know what I come for and I am sure they leave their own demons at the door. They become "family", as one put it. Suddenly the loss you suffered becomes an acquisition of an unforseen frienship. The brotherhood grows, and only those within know.


As I approach the gym I feel the tranquility of the dark, cold, snowy night. Few walk the streets. Most sane people head straight home and cook a hot meal, build a fire, and relax. The fire inside me keeps me warm, and the comraderie inside the gym feeds my soul. I travel down College Ave and as I pass the gym I see the frosted/etched windows. What isn't etched is fogged over from the heat within as it battles the cold outside, bitter enemies, only to meet and become one. It is a scene I see often when I close my eyes. This place has become home. That is where I belong. The family within those walls may dish out pain upon me, but it is a pain that heals, a pain that brings you back to where you need to be. A pain full of kindness and understanding. It is the only place that I know of where you can inflict, and have inflicted, this kind of pain and punishment and yet when you are done you wrap your arms around your oponent and sincerely appreciate the warrior they are and the battles you share. Only in this place can you look that person in the eye and know that NO MATTER WHAT they will be there to share the pain whether it is intangible, or deep seated in your soul.


As I park and grab my gear bag I suddenly realize that my worries from the day have all but vanished. Gone in the night. Taken away by the thoughts of what is to be before me. Snatched away on a cool, crisp, blustery night. As I walk the half block to the gym doors, snow and ice crunching under my feet, I feel my hair tingle. I open the front doors and life comes rushing out at me. The sights, smells, sounds, and smiles. That is why I come back day after day. The bonds we make on the mat cannot be broken by lifes simple, insignifcant, trivial, and mundane trials. The honor within those walls is something that most people only dream about. The friendships and support are often glorified, and fantasized about in movies, script, or fairytales...but here we find it. Here we live it. Strong, intent, and solid.


After changing and stepping onto the mat, I wrap my hands and begin my warm up. the music thumping and my heart pumping. The sound of heavy exhaustive breathing fills the room. The ropes slapping the mat, tapping to a rhythm that only a fighter could love. The timer sounds the rounds, we hit the floor and sprawl to the ground. The sharp, crisp sound of a sudden strong exhale as someone hits the pads, "hhhhsssssssssttttt", then the crack of leather to leather. Then on those nights when we trade punches with one another - that is where you find the peace within it all. The process suddenly comes to fruition. You move side to side, head moving, feet dancing, jab, cross, hook, leg kick. Nothing else is there. No divorce, no financial worries, no job stress, no bills to pay. Just you and a "mutual" combatant. Both there willingly and both holding their own destiny in their hands. Each move calculated, countered and recalculated. Methodical in your pursuit, you stalk one another looking for the opportunity to strike.


I know I cannot change the past. My mistakes are mine. I live with the fear, pain, and anger on a daily basis. Most nights are spent without complete sleep. The tears still come from a well that I thought had run dry. I often have to pull over and just catch my breath. I hate being alone. I miss the sounds of a house full of love and a "FAMILY" complete and whole. The monster(s) that took these things (or took part) are out there. They laugh in the shadows and continue their plight. But I have peace. I have a family again. They are not what I once had...but they will do. Retribution is not mine to give - God shall tend to that. In the mean time, I'll walk through those doors every chance I get and wage war upon those willing to grant me with the privelage. The blood I spill is freely given, the pain gladly taken. The body I build is for fighting. The spirit inside will never tap to the demons that surround me. My spirit may have been knocked to the mat..yet I will always get back up and continue the fight.

30 comments:

Jen said...

"There's the spirit that I have grown to love. You have turned all of this into something tangible, something to work for, something to be proud of. And you are surrounded by such good people, Jim. You may feel alone, but you have many at your back and side. I love you!"

Anonymous said...

Good lawd! I had no idea you could write. It has been a pleasure punching you in the face, and having you punch me in mine. It has been an even greater pleasure getting to know you and see you struggle through this and become who we all see. You bring laughter and humility to "the family". You are never alone brother.

Amy said...

My God, I envy you! I envy your passion for what you do. And in your very eloquent way you put me right there in it with you. It makes me want to run right out and do...SOMETHING! Anything that would make me feel the way you do about this. But I'm not nearly as envious as I am grateful that you found a lifeline, a little something to hold on to that pulled you back up. I'm so glad for you.

All I ask is that you show those poor guys at that gym some mercy because I guarantee they have NEVER stood up against a fighter of your caliber! They aren't even in your league. You don't just fight in that gym, you fight for everything outside of it, too. You wage a battle every day; for love, for life, for your kids. And what I love most about you is that you always fight the GOOD fight. "Noble" is the word that springs to mind. You are a noble man. I dare any of those guys at the gym to do better. They have a real challenge on their hands if they go up against you.

So, the punches you have taken over the last eight months were brutal, true. Yet you're still standing, ready to fight for it all again tomorrow. If that doesn't make you a force to be reckoned with, I don't know what does. You are one of the toughest, most honorable men I have ever known. You are the definition of a warrior. A fighter to the core.

And if anyone says differently I'll take THEM to the mat.

JT said...

I'm with Amy. This is by far one of my favorite pieces Jim. It has made the rounds at the office. Keep it up.

John G. said...

Niceness. It made the rounds here in our office too. Sup JT? Felt like Jerry McGuire after reading it throwing my hands up behind my desk in triumph. I'm proud to have you as a friend Jim. I'm sorry for you but deep down I see the man you are and that other obviously could not see. No one is perfect but it is that love you speak of that warms the hearts of all those around you. Don't lose that because of all this crap.
John

Misty C. said...

"as always. you put it very well. I am happy you have found this release, jimmy."

Jeremy O. said...

what a wordsmith you are... inspiring... you need to write a book someday, and of course lets roll tonight!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim. We have never met but I have to say that your writing is quite fun to read and inspires so many. I found this blog through a friend at work and it has since become a favorite not only with me but with many here. I'll have to come by and check out Durango Martial Arts sometime. A couple of us here have been talking about it and now I really want to come in. Keep it up and keep fighting.

April said...

It's good to have you back. I have missed your writing.

Ash said...

As has been said so many times before, you have a gift Jim. You touch people and you inspire people. What you lost was not "yoru life" but merely a stepping stone to what you have become. Behold a better man who has learned and has triumphed over so much evil dished out upon him. You are a good man and a good father. I only wish that the world had more dads as passionate and carig as you. You may never love again or be married again but you INSPIRE. That is enough for most men.

Trista said...

Jim, after reading your post I was initially in shock. I was awed by your ability to touch someone who has no direct connection to your experience, in such a manner that the person is rendered speechless. I was overcome with emotions colliding this way and that, I was inspired, saddened, joyful for you, envious of your passion, and proud to be your friend. Your life has not been taken from you, but given a new birth and beginning. I hope only to follow in your footprints, sturdy and never wavering, to conquer the battle I too have inside. Thank you.

CT said...

Jim,
I really am touched by all that you are and all I have come to know. You are great. I have listened to your heart wrenching story and followd you through this, and I am always in awe at your grace. I am sorry you lost "her" but it is a shame she could not know who we now have the privelage of knowing. Walk on and know (as Trista said) there are those who will follow in you footsteps and learn from the example you provide. That silence that you and I talked about - it is beautiful Jim. What a way to deal with the madness. Silence.
Coleen

Jennifer H. said...

Beautiful as usual. Even when describing getting your ass kicked and kicking others'. ;) I can't say I ever thought the smell of a gym was anything other than gross though. But it's true - when all of the senses are engaged the better the workout.
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

You are a great guy Jim. I knew you before all this crap but I gotta tell you that I REALLY like this new you.
Sandra

Steph Hannover said...

You have walked through this darkness with such humility. You have earned the respect of so many, including those whe either didn't know you so well before or maybe didn't know the "real" you. You truly are an inspiration to all the people out there that you touch. Our daily struggles seem so trivial after follwoing your plight. You are living proof that even in utter darkness if you persist long enough your eyes adjust and you find the light.
Steph

Anonymous said...

You are going to have a blast in Thailand. Funny you are going on vacation to go to a fighting camp. Gonna get your ass kicked on vacation. You deserve it. The vacation I mean.

Anonymous said...

THAILAND ! Which camp will you train at? How long? Way to go Meyer.

Jim Meyer said...

Haha. Thanks man. Yeah some vacation but one place I think will clear all this junk from my mind and soul. Not sure where. I was set on Fairtex camps but have had a couple of guys point me towards some other less expensive camps. The exchange rate from Dollar to Bhat is INSANE so it'll be a realatively cheap trip anyway. I plan on spending a month there. Gotta work out some details with kid stuff and my job but it all look promising. Airfare is pretty cheap right now too. I am either going Nov 2010 or Jan 2011. Haven't decided. Gives me plenty of time to get ready. Another group from DMA is heading down to Brazil this year for a BJJ camp. Thanks or all the comments. I feel great and strong as ever.
Jim

Eduardo said...

Jimbo, you rock! What's with some of those comments that mention you are going to Thailand?!?!? Is that you or someone else? If you fly through Seattle stop by and say hello. I miss you man!

Ed

durangoclimber said...

Eddie,
I miss you to my friend. Yup - that would be me going to Thailand. Wanna go? You'll have to endure a month long Thai boxing camp! You could hand that eh?
Jim

Anonymous said...

Love the poem on your sidebar/main page. INVICTUS. How fitting is that for you? You keep getting leaner, fitter, and stronger everytime I see you. We were checking out this cute guy on main last weekend and low and behold it ended up being you. Funny. Keep it up Jim. You are a great man and an even better daddy. It was so good to see Kai and Kealey smiling and clinging to their daddy.
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Mr. Meyer,
I have tried to contact you via your blog. I am an editor for a men's magazine and received an email regarding your blog. Nice work. It is dripping with passion, substance and is full of hope. Please contact me when you have time. While we don't currently have any requirements for copy, we do take submissions from freelance writers. I'd like to discuss this with you.
R. Gardiner

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Amigo.
Alex

Anonymous said...

You inspire me and give me hope. Your facebook (daily) quotes are something I look forward to every single day. Thank you Jim.

Anonymous said...

You are gonna kick butt in Thailand. You deserve the trip. Stay focused on that trip and your training.
Ryan

Dad said...

Jim;

Just read your new blog post. Really amazing as usual. I have to be honest, I have been a bit skeptical about your Fbook posts about you getting your ass kicked again and again. I wondered what is happening to you. Are you being consumed by this monster or is this just a phase that you are going through. I really didn't agree with what I was seeing and was a bit confused. I now understand fully where you are going and why. I once had a boss, one of the few people that I will always remember, who practiced karate all of his adult life. In his younger years while a young buck in the Air Force, he used to spar with Chuck Norris. He would walk around the office banging his fist or open hand on desks or walls and throwing lightning quick punches into the air. I never really understood but I knew that this was a lifetime commitment for him. He taught karate all of the time that I knew him. When I first met him, we were stationed in Idaho and he is the one that eventually got me the assignment to Alaska. When he retired, he was still "practicing karate". I guess that you never learn it all so one just has to keep "practicing".

Anyway Jim, I now understand why you are doing what you are doing. I am glad that you published your feelings once again. You just keep it up, it will make you stronger each day and I don't mean just physically. You know what is right for YOU! You are the GREATEST!

I Love You Jim

Dad

Anonymous said...

Bangkok or bust Meyer. I'm scared of you as it is and I can't imagine after you come back from a month long camp in Thailand.

Anonymous said...

Sharpie man,
It was great meeting you this weekend. You were truly a riot at the party. We all loved seeing that smile and vibe as you danced around letting your body be used as a bilboard. You are a great guy and I look forward to climbing with you in the future. Keep that positive vibe and NICE BLOG.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

You will never live down the moniker of "Sharpie Man". Oh my gowsh you had that crowd laughing. You are wonderful and I am glad to know you. Rock on!
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Wow..... Your willingness to live your life while looking in the mirror is inspiring. Most people spend the majority of their lives running from truth. You seem to embrace yours and grow from it. From you daily quotes on FB to the words on your blog which you share with such haunting honesty....you are like a breath of fresh air in an often suffocating world....
...... Thank you.